Welcome to episode #263 of Six Pixels Of Separation - The Twist Image Podcast. How far would you go to get something done? Derek Sivers was an independent artist trying to sell his CDs online back in 1998. None of the big online retailers of music would sell his music. He wasn't on a major label and he wasn't a "known" entity. Instead of sulking about it, Sivers went out, bought a book on Web programming, turned to page one and started to figure out - on his own - how to build a website and integrate it with a merchant account. This led to creation of CD Baby - which quickly grew to become the largest seller of independent music and artists in the world. In 2008, Sivers sold CD Baby for $22 million. Most recently, he released his first business book, Anything You Want, on Seth Godin's The Domino Project book publishing imprint. It's an amazing and candid look at what it takes to create a great company (and it's a powerful story for all Marketers to hear). This past week, I published the Blog post, Anything You Want, and some of the quote were culled from this chat with Sivers. Enjoy the conversation...
- Running time: 50:59.
- Please send in questions, comments, suggestions - firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hello from Beautiful Montreal.
- Subscribe over at iTunes.
- Please visit and leave comments on the Blog - Six Pixels of Separation.
- Feel free to connect to me directly on Facebook here: Mitch Joel on Facebook.
- or you can connect on LinkedIn.
- ...or on twitter.
- I'm even on Google +!
- Six Pixels of Separation the book is now available.
- Episode #39 of Media Hacks is coming soon and it might feature:
- Chris Brogan - New Marketing Labs - Co-author of Trust Agents, Man On The Go, Human Business Works, Third Tribe Marketing and Escape Velocity.
- C.C. Chapman - Managing The Gray - Digital Dads - Content Rules.
- Hugh McGuire - LibriVox - iambik audio - PressBooks.
- Christopher S. Penn - Blue Sky Factory - Marketing Over Coffee.
- Julien Smith - In Over Your Head - Co-author of Trust Agents.
- In conversation with Derek Sivers - founder of CD Baby.
- Derek's first business book is called, Anything You Want.
- Anything You Want was published by Seth Godin's The Domino Project.
- You can also follow Derek on Twitter.
- Make sure to check out his Ted Talk: How To Start A Movement.
- My business column on Derek: Anything You Want.
- This weeks music: David Usher.
Download the Podcast here: Six Pixels Of Separation - The Twist Image Podcast - Episode #263 - Host: Mitch Joel.