Welcome to episode #127 of Six Pixels Of Separation - The Twist Image Podcast. The subculture of hacking came into broad daylight in early 2000, "when the websites of CNN, Yahoo, E*Trade, Dell, Amazon, and eBay ground to a halt for several hours, causing panic everywhere from the White House to suburbia and around the world. After two months and hundreds of hours of wiretapping, the FBI and RCMP staged a late-night raid to apprehend the most wanted man in cyberspace — a 15-year-old kid, Mafiaboy. Eight years later, Mafiaboy, a.k.a.Michael Calce, has ignored requests from every major media outlet in North America and has not told a word of his story — until now. Using his experience as a cautionary tale, Calce and award-winning journalist Craig Silverman also take the reader through the history of hacking and how it has helped make the internet the new frontier for crime in the 21st century." That's how the book, Mafiaboy, is described on the website. Here's the conversation I had with Mafiaboy (Michael Calce) and his co-author, Craig Silverman, this past week. Enjoy the conversation...
- Running time: 35:47.
- Audio comment line - please send in a comment and add your voice to the audio community: +1 206-666-6056.
- Please send in questions, comments, suggestions - firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hello from Beautiful Montreal.
- Subscribe over at iTunes.
- Please visit and leave comments on the Blog - Six Pixels of Separation.
- Feel free to connect to me directly on Facebook here: Mitch Joel on Facebook.
- or you can connect on LinkedIn.
- ...or on twitter.
- Facebook Group - Six Pixels of Separation Podcast Society.
- In a perfect world, I'd love for you to connect with me, directly, through my Facebook profile instead of joining the group - but, that's your call.
- Check out my other Podcast, Foreword Thinking - The Business And Motivational Book Review Podcast - sponsored by HarperCollins Canada.
- Foreword Thinking - Episode #11 featuring Michael Gerber - E-Myth Revisited and Awakening The Entrepreneur Within.
- The Best Practices In Social Media Marketing Writing Project.
- Prizes too:
- Apple iPod Shuffle – 1gb.
- Always Be Testing – Bryan Eisenberg.
- Word of Mouth Marketing – Andy Sernovitz – 4 copies.
- Keep those audio comments coming.
- Marketing Magazine.
- Marketing Week - celebrating 100 Years of Marketing Magazine.
- Monday, November 3rd – Digital Day - keynote Interview: Mitch Joel interviews Rob Walker, Author, Buying In – The Secret Dialogue Between What We Buy And Who We Are & "Consumed" columnist, the New York Times Magazine.
- Globel e-commerce Summit – October 27 – 29th in Amsterdam.
- Knight News Challenge – Heidi Miller.
- In Conversation with mafiaboy (aka Michael Calce) and Craig Silverman – Regret The Error.
- Mafiaboy – How I Cracked The Internet and Why It’s Still Broken by Michael Calce and Craig Silverman.
- Six Points of Separation – Six Ways To Get Smarter About Security:
- 1. Update all anti-virus software.
- 2. Centralize your data.
- 3. Back-up.
- 4. Hire an ethical hacker.
- 5. Have a worst case scenario plan in place.
- 6. Passwords.
- Music from the Podsafe Music Network:
- David Usher – ‘The Music’.
Please join the conversation by sending in questions, feedback and ways to improve Six Pixels Of Separation. Please let me know what you think or leave an audio comment at: +1 206-666-6056.
Download the Podcast here: Six Pixels Of Separation - The Twist Image Podcast - Episode #127 - Host: Mitch Joel.