** PLEASE NOTE: THE MONTREAL BUSINESS BOOK CLUB NO LONGER MEETS **
I have been getting a lot of emails and requests regarding what The Montreal Business Book Club is all about and what is involved. This is my primer for The Montreal Business Book Club.
I started The Montreal Business Book Club well over a year ago because people were constantly asking me what I was reading, what they should be reading or what I thought about a particular book. I did some investigating and realized that there are not many business book clubs anywhere in the world, and it seemed like a great place to share ideas, brainstorm, discuss current events and have a light evening of heavy discussion.
On April 15th, 2004 The Montreal Business Book Club was born. Our first meeting was a discussion on Meaningful Marketing by Doug Hall. I currently have close to two hundred Montreal business people signed up to receive email updates on The Montreal Business Book Club and I Blog about all activities here as well. There are plans to create The Montreal Business Book Club Blog, so hang tight.
The Montreal Business Book Club also recently hooked up with HarperCollins Canada, Random House and The Power Within to offer people who are interested contests, first looks, in-depth book reviews, special offers and more. We keep the spam out (no need to worry).
Here is how The Montreal Business Book Club works:
- If you are interested in being on the email list, please email me your full name, title, company, email address and phone number.
- There is no charge to take part in The Montreal Business Book Club.
- The Montreal Business Book Club discusses one book every month.
- The monthly discussions last about one hour, but people always hang out and jam on ideas.
- The discussions are held at Twist Image in our boardroom.
- There are usually anywhere from four to fifteen people at a session.
- Because it is one book per month, there are no strings attached, so you can come to the session that interests you and not miss anything from previous sessions.
- All book selections are made by me with tons of help and suggestions by the members, friends, Blogs, etc...
Rules of The Montreal Business Book Club
1. The first rule of The Montreal Business Book Club is that there is no Montreal Business Book Club - OK, that's from Fight Club but I am always dying to use that line. It's out of my system now.
2. Please RSVP to me by email if you are going to be coming.
3. Please read the book selection.
4. Show up on time.
5. Have an open mind, but bring many questions.
6. Bring as many snacks and drinks as you like - we all share.
7. You know what they say about opinions.
8. Play nice.
9. No pitching your business. This is a business book club, please respect that.
Ultimately, my vision for The Montreal Business Book Club was to create an environment where Montreal business professionals can grow and learn from the latest business books coupled with the insights of their professional and intellectual peers. I was also hoping to foster literacy in the Montreal business community in hopes that one person will read a few books and pay it forward to their employees and colleagues.
The discussions are always fun with lots of humor and they offer one of the best networking opportunities in Montreal.
If you would like to be a part of The Montreal Business Book Club, please forward me your name, title, company, email and phone number here: Montreal Business Book Club.