The concept of transmedia and Digital Storytelling is the new Social Media.
You can't throw a Digital Marketing Strategist without hearing the words "transmedia" or "digital storytelling" before they plunk against the ground. It's an exciting time to be in Marketing, Communications and Media. It's no longer just about the big idea in advertising (more on that here: Maybe It Is Time For Marketing To Move Away From "The Big Idea"). As Henry Jenkins explained so beautifully in the brilliant book, Convergence Culture, there is a new "flow of content across multiple media platforms, the cooperation between multiple media industries, and the migratory behavior of media audiences who would go almost anywhere in search of the kinds of entertainment experiences they wanted."
Marketing needs to up its game.
The brands that win are the brands that tell a great story. When it comes to transmedia storytelling, the brands that win are the brands that tell many great stories and are able to connect them all together. One way to get better at telling great stories, comes from understanding the structure, form and ingredients of a great story.
- Accidental Genius by Mark Levy.
- A Million Miles In A Thousand Years by Donald Miller.
- A Whole New Mind by Dan Pink.
- Bird By Bird by Anne Lamott.
- Convergence Culture by Henry Jenkins.
- The Creative Habit - Twyla Tharp.
- The Elements of Persuasion: Use Storytelling to Pitch Better, Sell Faster & Win More Business by Robert Dickman and Richard Maxwell.
- Give Your Speech, Change The World by Nick Morgan.
- Made To Stick by Chip and Dan Heath.
- On Writing by Stephen King.
- The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell.
- Presentation Zen by Garr Reynolds.
- Slide:ology by Nancy Duarte.
- Story by Robert McKee.
- The Story Factor: Inspiration, Influence, and Persuasion Through the Art of Storytelling by Annette Simmons.
Which great books about storytelling are missing? Please add them below...